Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Paradigms



There’s a psychologically astute article in this week’s New Yorker regarding the different conceptions of presidency that Hillary and Obama have. I was drawn in by this caption: “To Clinton, the Presidency is more about achieving goals than about transforming society.”

I love that there’s an alternative to setting and reaching (or not) goals. Although it’s entirely foreign to me, I’m inspired. (Inspired being perhaps the main word uttered by Obama supporters).

The alternative vision described has more to do with being a role model, being a catalyst, than with wresting power, taking control.

I immediately think about art. How can I change my mindset, divert it from accomplishing, from being there as a comparison, and bring it to focus on the strength it has to offer on its own.

I don’t know. Is it about confidence? Is it about not needing the approval of others? If so, how do you do that?

No comments: