Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday Thoughts






















Here’s a concept: being friendly.

I’m starting to realize that if you don’t always just get down to business, and if you find something personal to say every now and then, “people” are more likely to respond. For example, last week I waged what you might call a mass email campaign. Usually, I just put everyone in bcc and send (3 seconds). This time, I spent about three hours writing personal little notes to about half the people on my list. And I got emails back (including from curators and gallerists). I didn’t really think that would ever happen.

On another note, because I don’t have cable, I only get to watch TV when I’m in a hotel room. At the risk of sounding naïve, I’ve got to say, I learned a lot this weekend! You can soak letters in amphetamines and send it to prisoners, but guards check; some people regret their transgender choices and op back to their birth gender; and, get this! the Republicans are lying through their teeth!

I’m watching more and more TV thanks to netflix. Something tells me that this will keep me from becoming an “earnest” artist. In any case, the best art is art that is aware that its seriousness has its limits and impossibilities.

No comments: