Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who's Afraid of Magical Thinking?


It's widely "acknowledged" by cool-headed psychologists and scientists that magical thinking serves a calming purpose. That is, it soothes us when the chaos or unpredictability of the world bears down too heavily. We can turn to magical thinking when we really want the Mets to win, or when we really want to get into Art Omi, or when we really want the plane not to crash - but when we just can't control these things.

I'm using this space today to posit that magical thinking works.

Today I will go into the studio and break new ground. I will pull myself out of this creative slump, and glide ahead with new video text pieces. And all this because I wrote it down on this post.

Tomorrow I'll post what I came up with.

No comments: