Monday, November 30, 2009

Pulp






















TMT: Too Much Thanksgiving. In the meantime, here’s info on large sheets of paper.

New York Central has a non-flimsy 44” x 60” Coventry rag vellum for $9.50. That’s a good price.

The better papers don’t go larger than 40” x 60” but they do go larger in price. I liked the 1114 lb. Lanaquarelle sheet going for $47.72 a sheet.

Some artists glue several large sheets together. I personally don’t like seeing the joints, however.

At Dieu Donné Papermill, you can custom order a 7 foot by 12 foot sheet for something like $1500. I’ll wait until I have a gallery that can pay for that.

In terms of presenting such surfaces, I did see paper that was mounted on stretched canvas. This was appealing because the texture wasn’t stuck behind glass. At the same time, too much texture can come across as precious or craft-like.

2 comments:

LXV said...

Hey Molly, thanks for the info on the $9.50 paper. I'm going to check it out.

Molly Stevens said...

No prob.