Monday, September 28, 2009

Sketch Approach


Sometimes I feel like giving up the blog so bad.

I think the reason I keep it going is like the reason I go to the gym. It makes me feel better, it makes me look better. But do you realize what a pain it is?

A new tactic I’m trying is sketching. You don’t make one drawing, you make ten, and of the same thing. Then you make a bunch more the next time. Of the same thing. It’s a certain understanding that it takes making many to be able to start seeing what's really successful.

This approach has also served me well in the paintings I started last week. It takes a certain courage to completely obliterate a days worth of work by going over it, but with my sketching muscle building up, it’s getting easier, because the weight isn’t as heavy.

And, to my great surprise, I’m also able to apply the strategy to video work. I’m currently developing a new set of text-based interruptions for a video festival. I’m calling them 8 Electric Interruptions. That’s a still above.

So, what does this all mean for this writing here?

No comments: