Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Realistic fake


Talking about trees, check out this 1984 sculpture by Judy Pfaff up now at Ameringer, McEnery, Yohe. First, we’ve got those nice stylized trunks providing strength in multiple directions, like vectors; then we’ve got the suggestion of bark, not its faithful and laborious imitation. This keeps up the lightness. And then the sharp-edge chops clearly remind us that light and serious can coexist (and should, in my mind).

How do you get a realistic depiction of "nature." Unnaturally, I think.

That’s all for today, folks.

2 comments:

Max Stevens said...

Those are both amazing. I like your description and analysis. I would never be able to see what you're pointing out without you pointing it out.

Molly Stevens said...

Cool! That's true for me too when you talk about music. These two photographs are of the same piece, just from two different shows...