Monday, January 19, 2009

If I do say so myself


With a group of artists friends, we're whipping together an application for one of LMCC's Swing Spaces (temporary exhibition space).

I wrote this email, and if I do say so myself, sounds pretty good!

I would maybe avoid words like "globalism" and "diversity," because I think they are a bit dated. We all know this is a global, diverse world at this point. It's really just semantics though, because the idea about converging, overlapping, interconnected cultures, expressions - about difference and commonality - is really the same.
This is what I've been reading/thinking about that interests me : We are past "movements" in art, there is really no "next thing." What's artists can offer now is a wide selection of viewpoints, a non-clarity about the world as it really is, and yet a inter-connectedness about the world as it really is. What this group of artists (us), who have converged in NY, can do is complement each other, fill in pieces of a picture.


Please note, my artist's talk date will be on January 31 (not January 24). More on this on Wednesday.

And when was the last time you thought about George Segal?

No comments: