Monday, April 7, 2008

Art Angel



I had a minor epiphany the other day. I don’t think epiphanies can be minor, but it seems so obvious to me now, that I feel like qualifying it.

The art world will conquer. The only way to survive is to find a like-minded niche that feels like a community. What I’m saying is, you can’t do it alone, you need other people. So, all you can do is seek out other people you can relate to.

Will you be conquered anyway? Probably. But misery loves company.

As it seems to be turning out, I’m finding allies at the intersection of art and publishing. As much as I’ve tried to separate my income (translation) from my art, the two seem to be colliding. And it’s not so bad. The less I resist text, writing, catalogues, proofreading, incomprehensible art speak, the more it may feed my visual work and network.

They all say it, but it’s true: it all comes down to working with what you have.

No comments: